The U.S. gets the incarceration rate that is highest of every nation on earth, with more than 2.4 million people presently behind pubs. The indegent and individuals of color are incarcerated at greatly rates that are disproportionate. Numerous prisoners are held in solitary confinement or rejected sufficient care that is medical academic opportunities, and few resources are invested in reentry or community programs.
AFSC actively works to finish mass incarceration, enhance conditions for folks who come in prison, stop jail privatization, and promote a reconciliation and approach that is healing unlawful justice problems.
AFSC Friends Relations, in order to produce an even more significant amount of engagement between Friends and AFSC, is piloting a course called Quaker personal Change Ministry to guide and facilitate Spirit-led, social justice work with Quaker meetings/churches. This system is founded on the task of Kelly Dignan, Kierstin Homblette, and Deborah Holder, three Unitarian Ministers into the Denver area whom created this model to guide congregations doing effective social modification ministry.
Please fill an interest form out to find out more about this system.
1. Teach yourselves about mass incarceration
Whether you have got direct experience or perhaps not, get history information, and teach yourselves concerning the issue of mass incarceration.
– begin a fresh Jim Crow group that is reading this research guide
– begin a Beyond Prisons study team making use of the research guide
– pay attention to Laura Magnani, Director of AFSCвЂ™s Bay Area Healing Justice Program in California, describe her experiences in the mediation group for hunger strikers at Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City, California and just why Quakers have to take a role that is active closing mass incarceration. You are able to pay attention to the recording that is full of Call for Spirited Action by clicking right here.
– tune in to Dominque Stevenson, Program Director for AFSC’s buddy of a pal brazilcupid search system, describe the job of buddy of a buddy and exactly how that system is handling the requirements of predominantly communities that are black Baltimore which are greatly relying on mass incarceration, hunger, and poverty. It is possible to pay attention to the recording that is full of Call for Spirited Action by clicking here.
– view just How Quakers Can assist End Mass Incarceration, a QuakerSpeak movie, and share it together with your systems.
2. Get your congregation within the prison walls
Learning and dealing with those most relying on the justice that is criminal will alter you. You can easily volunteer at a prison that is federal Prisoner and Visitation help.
Take part in Alternatives to Violence programs in prisons. They all are throughout the nation and numerous Quakers congregations are included. Discover more right here.
Write frequently to a person that is incarcerated. Pen pals could be a link that is vital those under correctional control. Write a Prisoner has listings of incarcerated people through the united states of america pen that is seeking. Human Rights Pen Pals connects community people with people in long haul isolation.
As soon as your meeting/church has generated connection with individuals in jail, you can start to inquire of some questions that are specific what type of training, help, volunteer/prisoner-run programs they need help arranging in.
To obtain your system from the ground, recruit volunteers who will be dedicated to having a frequent, committed existence in.
Your congregation can perhaps work on developing system curriculum in coordination with people residing in, or beginning a worship team inside if individuals inside demand one. In the event that you show degree, have a go at Inside Out.
Michigan and ny staff will offer guidance predicated on state experience that is specific you want assistance.
3. Lift up mass incarceration issues inside your community
While you bear witness to jail conditions and realities, you certainly will become some other monitor of jail conditions and issues. Sooner or later, your congregation can build using this experience to build up techniques to manage these problems. If for example the congregation is working together with multiple or a couple, you might find out styles in issues.
It is essential to develop relationships with legislators, ombudspeople, and corrections administrators who could probably stop the dilemmas before they escalate.
We have been pleased to consult on the best way to address prisoner rights cases which will surface (access to appropriate medical care, psychological state care, use of parole, use of development and training, use of visits, over-classification like the usage of solitary confinement, meals quality, and so forth).
4. Offer help to prisonersвЂ™ families and folks coming back from jail
As a mentor into the youngster of the person staying in prison or perhaps a helper to somebody reentering your community from jail, you can:
– Meet for a regular or meal that is monthly
– offer transportation to school or work
– assistance with college applications/enrollment
– help with work search
– Rent an area (lease could be things that are many work and/or money exchanged)
See healingcommunitiesusa.org for any other resources that may be useful in dealing with people re-entering the city.
5. Challenge key peopleвЂ”including your legislators
Every one of the above are governmental actions, you could be straight associated with ongoing promotions in communities through the entire nation.
Anti-privatization of prisons work with Arizona and brand New Hampshire.
Anti-solitary confinement operate in different states through the nation: Illinois, nj-new jersey, Ca, ny Arizona, Maine, and Michigan.
Follow Solitary Watch for up-to-date information.
Get the annually Meeting or Quarterly fulfilling to produce a declaration or minute against jail and detention center privatization, solitary confinement and torture, and/or other unlawful justice associated problems.
Your congregation may also find out about the Doctrine of Christian Discovery (DOCD), that is the number of documents that underpinned genocide of Native People in the us, enslavement of blacks, the Law of Nations, Manifest Destiny, together with post-Civil War building associated with carceral system, which is the backbone of Federal Indian Law.
You are able to study toward prospective repudiation of DOCD. Brand brand brand New England Yearly Meeting and AFSC staff in Maine can respond to inquiries about it.